Friday, December 3, 2010

THE NEUTRAL POSITION

I apologize to my .3 readers for the lack of updates. Hopefully you'll understand why. This week has unequivocally been stupid as hell, and has made it hard for me to follow The Gainitude program as strictly I had in the past month.

I look at this week as a good learning experience.

After the clinic visit on Monday, I was fully prepared to keep going full steam ahead with the diet and exercise programs as usual. But, as sometimes happens, life gets in the way.

The biggest "issue" this week was stomach related. Not sure what caused it, but Wednesday and Thursday were pretty rough on the old gut. I will not get into gory details, but I was making more bathroom pitstops than I normally do. It's hard for a CF'er to pin down exactly what could be causing GI distress because there's so many factors (bad food, medication). I took steps to try to isolate the issue, and things seem to be returning back to normal.

This episode did cause my to drop a little bit of weigh. Not a lot though. This morning I weighed in at 117. My high before was 118.4, but I did feel this was a bit inflated. In a way, the GI issue acted as a reset to any excess bloat that may have been padding my numbers. My weight didn't drop dramatically. 117 is still good. If anything, I'm happy for the reset. I've been sprinting for a month straight, and my body involuntarily got a little breather. That's fine with me. At least for a couple of days.

The thing I'm most upset about is the lack of exercise this week. The last time I got a workout in was Saturday. Every day I make plans to hit the gym, and something comes up. The first couple missed days can be blamed on some sore muscles in my feet from previous workouts. But the other days were just a myriad of various unforeseen roadblocks: Whether it's helping a friend with a project, staying super late at work, or nursing the previously mentioned stomach. They are legit excuses, but I still feel terrible falling off the bandwagon so easily this week. Luckily, my lungs don't feel like they've suffered too many ill-effects, but I need to get back to the program as soon as possible.

If anything, this week showed me how easy it is to go into neutral (and potentially reverse) on this program. The last thing I want, or need, is to revert back to my old habits. I've decided this week was a lost one in terms of progression. Now I just have to make sure next week is back to the grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment